November 09, 2003

A FavoritesBar Poll

I'm having a little bit of difficulty with FavoritesBar, in that I don't know how everyone is using it. If you don't mind, answer these questions in the comments:

1. Do you use CTRL+TAB or SHIFT+TAB for your hotkey?
2. Do you use the mouse?
3. Do you get the favorites from the sidebar, or the favorites folder?
4. Do you use the menu?

Right now I'm considering getting rid of Shift Tab as a choice, which would free up shift for going backwards in the list. The other way to do it would be to keep shift tab, and if someone chooses shift tab have control be the modifier to go backwards. Complex stuff.

Some people have mentioned that they liked it better the old way, where there weren't labels for every item, so I've made it a preference. I've also fixed the problems relating to the menu never closing sometimes, or the app, or both. Also, I'm very close to fixing the problem with you ending up with 3 or more instances of FavoritesBar in the startup items list. You no longer have to restart FavoritesBar in order to get preference updates either, which should be a big improvement. Tomorrow I am going to file a bug asking Apple to please synchronize the sidebar property list with the actual sidebar when changes are made to the sidebar, so that we can pick those changes up. Right now, if you edit the Finder's sidebar you will need to quit the Finder and restart FavoritesBar before you'll see changes, which feels VERY clunky to me.

More as it comes...

Posted on November 9, 2003 12:26 AM | cocoa | TrackBack
  Comments

Here are my answers:

1. CTRL+Tab
2. Never ;)
3. Sidebar
4. No

I would love to backcycle with SHIFT by the way!

·November 9, 2003 03:05 AM · comment by Paso   -   ∞

I can't get FavoritesBar to work. I get this error in Console:

2003-11-09 02:11:55.807 System Preferences[2203]
**omitted**/Library/PreferencePanes/FavoritesBar.prefPane/
Contents/FavoritesBar.app.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·November 9, 2003 03:16 AM · comment by Jeremy   -   ∞

I forgot a feature request:

If I use the application switcher and notice that I actually don't want to switch apps, I can press esc and nothing happens. Same behavior within FavoritesBar would be really appreciated...

·November 9, 2003 03:46 AM · comment by Paso   -   ∞

1. Do you use CTRL+TAB or SHIFT+TAB for your hotkey?
Control Tab. Thanks for asking

2. Do you use the mouse?
Real Men™ don't need mice. That means generally no, but sometimes yeah. If you're thinking of taking it out, don't.

3. Do you get the favorites from the sidebar, or the favorites folder?
Uh, well, my desktop computer uses the favourites folder (10.2.8) and my laptop uses the sidebar (10.3)

4. Do you use the menu?
No, and it can go to hell for all I care.

And it should be noted that I agree with Paso concerning his feature request.

Cheers

·November 9, 2003 08:17 PM · comment by Sniper   -   ∞

Oops. I don't think that copy and pasted correctly. The error is:

2003-11-10 01:43:59.817 System
Preferences[2492]

LSOpenFromURLSpec() returned -43 for application (null) path

/Users/**omit***/Library/
PreferencePanes/FavoritesBar.prefPane
/Contents/FavoritesBar.app.

·November 10, 2003 02:45 AM · comment by Jeremy   -   ∞

Jeremy, I'd love to help you, but you left a fake email address.

Most likely, you've installed FavoritesBar in the wrong place. If that isn't the right answer email me and I'll help more.

·November 10, 2003 05:32 PM · comment by Steven Canfield   -   ∞

I'd prefer option-tab, actually.

·November 12, 2003 01:38 AM · comment by Some Guy   -   ∞

Option Tab is already used by the OS in a number of ways, most notably inserting a Tab into a textfield when just pressing tab would move you to the next control.

See, tabspacing =]

·November 12, 2003 07:09 AM · comment by Steven Canfield   -   ∞

I've got it working now, thanks. :)

I use Ctrl-Tab, no mouse, no menu. I use the sidebar. I'd like to second support for being able to back cycle with Shift-Tab.

·November 14, 2003 04:26 PM · comment by Jeremy   -   ∞