November 04, 2003

FavoritesBar 1.0 Release

FavoritesBar page.

I'd like some more feedback on this puppy, so give me what you've got.

Thanks.

Posted on November 4, 2003 09:19 PM | cocoa | TrackBack
  Comments

Steven,
That kicks ass--what a fantastic idea (and implementation)!

The only nit is that I can't seem to get the FavoritesBar Menu working (unless I'm just not understanding what it is).

Wonderful, wonderful idea though! I will be using this a lot!

·November 4, 2003 11:13 PM · comment by Buzz Andersen   -   ∞

The favoritesbar menu should sit in the upper corner next to Fast User Switching and the volume slider, for example. It is just a menu of your Finder sidebar.

If it isn't working then I'd love more information about your system. Thanks.

·November 4, 2003 11:32 PM · comment by Steven Canfield   -   ∞

Yeah, it's definitely not working. I'm using Panther, and I already have a number of menus up there (WeatherPop, iChat, Airport, Volume, Battery, LaunchBar, Date/Time). If there's anything else you'd like to know, let me know...

Incidentally, only one other critique: it would be good to place some sort of label over the icons even when they aren't selected. It can be hard to tell the difference between plain folders (ones that don't have little icons associated with them).

·November 5, 2003 12:03 AM · comment by Buzz Andersen   -   ∞

I can report the same problem with the menu not showing up in Panther. Also I've deselected the Desktop from showing up on my sidebar but it still shows up on FavBar. Even more nitpicky would be that the black label behind the names is more rectangular than oval, the font appears to be bold as opposed to regular, and the square behind the icon seems a few pixels bigger when compared to the app switcher when both are at their biggest. When figuring that out I found out that it can get a little wiggy when focus is taken away from it before a selection can be made.

Very nice app, this and Exposé make me a very happy keyboard orientated user.

·November 5, 2003 12:21 AM · comment by Ben Clayton   -   ∞

I love this kind of software! Thanks to Buzz for pointing this out.

Is it possible to implement the possibility to use shift for backwards-cycling (as in the appswitcher)?
The menu didn´t worked here either.

·November 5, 2003 04:22 AM · comment by Paso   -   ∞

The bar flickers whenever I press tab, as if the bar window disappears. This looks ugly. I should be able to press tilde once the bar is up and cycle backwards, in addition to using shift-tab. Allow Mouse Selection requires FavoritesBar to be restarted.

Unfortunately, it didn't produce any console output or crash logs.

·November 5, 2003 06:19 AM · comment by Anarchie   -   ∞

Fixes coming soon people. I found out the problem with the menu very quickly. Shift + control + tab and just tilde will be implemented soon -- I didn't even know the App switcher did that.
On the preferences, yes, currently you need to restart the application. I guess I need to look up NSDistributedNotificationCenter =/
Lastly, on the flickering you are seeing Anarchie: It's probably because we draw the whole view each time, as well as invalidate the shadows for the window. This is a much bigger problem to fix than the other problems, because it means I have to rewrite all the drawing code. So, that fix is coming too, but not as soon as the others =/

Also, according to the people at VersionTracker, I need a Read Me. Who knew ? =/

·November 5, 2003 06:44 AM · comment by Steven Canfield   -   ∞

Neat idea. Since folders tend not to have distinct icons, I'd like to see all the names displayed all the time. Also, please give the disk image a more descriptive name.

·November 5, 2003 07:42 AM · comment by Michael Tsai   -   ∞

Another bit of feedback: it would be nice if the trigger key combination repeated, as it does in the Panther task switcher, so you could cycle between icons by holding the keys down.

·November 5, 2003 10:33 AM · comment by Buzz Andersen   -   ∞

Apparently my copy of Panther arrives tomorrow, so, uhm, until then, I hate you. Looks pretty spiffy and all.

·November 5, 2003 07:43 PM · comment by Sniper   -   ∞

Lovely. The only thing that bothers me is the flickering as mentioned by Anarchie, otherwise, lovely.

Thanks

·November 6, 2003 06:26 AM · comment by Kristian   -   ∞

READMEs are important for giving CERTAIN people credit for doing CERTAIN things :)

But anyway, I'm sure it's great. Can't wait til I can get on a Mac to try it out.

·November 6, 2003 12:27 PM · comment by Neosiris   -   ∞

FavoritesBar 1.0.1 doesn't work on my 15' TiBook. I'm running Panther. It shows up in my System Preferences-> Other, but doesn't do anything when I click on the start button. I also don't get the menubar icon when I check the "Enable MenuBar icon"

·November 6, 2003 08:45 PM · comment by Siddh   -   ∞