June 13, 2003

In Brief: Boston Edition

QuarkXPress 6 - Finally. I hope Quark dies, soon. Obviously, they won't, but they are a disgusting company.
CocoaDev - Site redesigned. I'm going to start posting things there, and I'll mirror them here. Should be fun.
Zeldman - IE Mac is dead. Zeldman investiages the past and future of Internet Explorer.
Simon Willison - Styling blockquotes. A very cool effect, which I have now, but it isn't working. I'll investigate tonight.
CyberMonk - Graduation, congratulations. Leave your congratulations in his comments.
CodePoet - The whole of non MS computing is involved. MS is involed too.
Mark Pilgrim - RSS safety. Sounds like RSS aggregators will need to do what email clients have done and only respond to like 5 pre-selected tags, mostly for formatting.
Anarchie's Blog - Still blank =]
XRayNuke - Welcome back XRay. Good old USA.
I'm in Boston until Tuesday. It's pretty cool here, and cold too. I toured this protein manufacturing facility today, but that's the subject of another post. Then on Thursday I head off to California for WWDC. I'm starting to get excited, I hope I learn a lot.

Posted on June 13, 2003 11:02 PM | blog | TrackBack
  Comments

See, this is why I'd like to see some standards for what I call Formatting HTML, which is like HTML but for formatting some real goddamn text instead of all this interactive shit.

There's a subset of HTML supported by Java's Swing library for labels and such, there's UBBCode for forums, there's a half-dozen other schemes trying to do the same thing, but there's no standard for it. And someone needs to create one.

·June 14, 2003 02:45 PM · comment by XRayNuke   -   ∞

BZ did some blockquote styling for me, although I'm unsure as to whether his methods were similar to those you linked to. My quotes ownage yours, anyway.

·June 14, 2003 05:02 PM · comment by CyberMonk   -   ∞

"Finally. I hope Quark dies, soon. Obviously, they won't, but they are a disgusting company."

I know very little about Quark (the company) as I use it only occasionally at work. Why exactly are they a "disgusting company"?

·June 14, 2003 06:15 PM · comment by MikeyC   -   ∞

He's most likely referring to the fact that, simply because they are an "industry standard," they took much, much longer than they should have in releasing this product. In the meantime, Adobe released an excellent piece of desktop publishing software (InDesign; I own version 2.0), which, unfortunately, may be pushed aside with this late release of Quark taking the forefront. That, and they charge a hojillion dollars for their software. Sheesh.

·June 14, 2003 09:16 PM · comment by CyberMonk   -   ∞

Exactly -- read any review of XPress 6 and it's like an apology.
"XPress 6.0 doesn't take advantage of OS X's Quartz graphics-rendering technology, which could allow transparency and other special effects. However, it does use protected memory, and you no longer have to worry about allocating RAM."

That doesn't mention that a big part of XPress 6 is the web stuff, which is not requested and won't be good. The program is hurting, and it hasn't produced any improvemetns in how it flows text for 6 years. Design shops are so slow to change, the arguably better InDesign won't catch on.

·June 14, 2003 09:47 PM · comment by Steven Canfield   -   ∞