May 11, 2003

Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo

Both CyberMonk and Erik spoke about Unreal Tournament 2003, the (possible) succesor to the FPS throne. To celebrate the release of a Mac demo, the other night the crew at Macstorm had a little UT2K3 affair. I joined in rather late and only played a few rounds, but it was pretty good. Unreal never really did it for me though. I think I'm very majorly in the minority here, but I like the Quake engine. I don't like Quake 3 itself, but RTCW is to die for. Similarly, I like Half-Life's Natural Selection addon.

Infact, maybe it's not even the engine. Maybe it's that the games I prefer are strongly team-based, moreso than even CTF Unreal. I also honestly don't like the double hit thing the Unreal controls have. It's dumb I think.

A lot of people showed up, it was pretty cool. My Mac handled that game really well, far better than it handled WarCraft 3 as compared to my PC. So let's say for now that Blizzard's porting job was "substandard" as compared to MacSoft's.

Posted by Stevos at May 11, 2003 06:29 PM | TrackBack
  Comments

The Unreal Engine v2 powns the Quake 3 engine, but we all know id's working on DOOM 3, so.

I always prefered the Unreal engine to the Quake one, for several technical and SDK reasons too long to elaborate here. Suffice it so say, the Unreal engine is IMO better structured than the Q3 one. That's one of the reasons there are so many mods for UT out there, and no so many for Q3.

·May 11, 2003 09:48 PM · comment by BahamutZERO   -   ∞

I agree, more mods and such, but just in terms of pure gamage, RTCW owns (obviously imho) UT2K3. Nevermind that 2K3 is just a remix of UT. Graphical update, some weapon updates, but I dunno. I'd expect more from UT2K3.

Half Life 2 is rumored to have better mod support than the first one, and the first one had some damn good mods (CounterStrike, Natural-selection).

·May 11, 2003 10:07 PM · comment by Steven Canfield   -   ∞

It's considered rude, I think, to send a TrackBack to a site you don't link to.

·May 11, 2003 10:08 PM · comment by Erik J. Barzeski   -   ∞

Do I entirely misunderstand the concept of Trackbacks? I thought it was like, instead of commenting on something, if you wrote a post about a similar topic, you'd send them a trackback.

Is there more to it than that? Is there more 'blogging etiquette' that I ought to know about?

·May 11, 2003 10:40 PM · comment by Steven Canfield   -   ∞

I believe it was Epic that did the port. Macsoft just being the publisher.

Anyway, a good game to say the least. But I find the new weapons lame compared to the first version of UT. I'm finding myself playing more of Metal of Honor Spearhead. Very fun...I suggest you give it a try...graphics are terrible compared to UT but the game play is great. RTCW was fun too. Never really got into the multiplayer gaming though.

·May 12, 2003 02:02 AM · comment by SaFFiRe   -   ∞