May 08, 2003

OS X vs. OS 9

Matt Deatherage's latest article in MacWorld prompted me to think about this enigma. On one hand, you've got the most usable interface in the world. You've got popup windows, a splendidly fast GUI, a real Mac. On the other hand, you've got Cocoa, stability, and a NeXT engineer breathing down your shoulder.

OS 9 crashes, it's true. So does OS X. VLC constantly brings my system to it's knees. OS 9 has a fast GUI, OS X has a GUI that is slow because of its cool effects and on top of that is slower because of it's design: fades cannot be instant or you don't have a fade.

But Cocoa, there is the hitch. I can't leave it. More than half of my dock is Cocoa apps. One of them is Project Builder. As a developer and as a user, Cocoa matters to me.

What I'm saying is give me Cooca and OS 9, and I'd leave OS X in a heartbeat.

Posted by Stevos at May 8, 2003 06:31 PM | TrackBack
  Comments

VLC. Bah. Terrible example. It's a third part piece of software, and it hasn't even hit its 1.0 release. To blame it's instability on the OS is absurd. And, while OS 9 certainly did have its advantages, what about all the other boons of X, such as protected memory, true multitasking, etc.?

·May 8, 2003 08:08 PM · comment by CyberMonk   -   ∞

Multitasking shmultitasking. With OS 9, I get a task done in 10 seconds. I then move onto task #2 which takes 10 seconds.
With OS X, I get task one done in 15 seconds and task two simultaneously in 20 seconds. Multitasking is a performance hit that OS X cannot take ATM.

So wait, you're saying that blaming third party apps for crashing your machine is unfair? What exactly do you think went on in OS 9? The Finder didn't bomb 9 times out of 10, that's for sure.

What I am saying is that, simply, OS X sucks when compared to OS 9 in so many ways, it's very disappointing they didn't just do a straight port of the Finder etc.

·May 8, 2003 08:19 PM · comment by Steven Canfield   -   ∞

I'll concede some, though not all, of your points. And I would argue this further, but I must be heading out. On a side note, however, you need to be on ICQ or AIM or something more often, fool.

·May 8, 2003 08:23 PM · comment by CyberMonk   -   ∞

I like OS X because its so purty.

But seriously.. embrace the new!

·May 9, 2003 02:49 PM · comment by Ryan Hardy   -   ∞

·May 9, 2003 05:31 PM · comment by niugnepreeb   -   ∞

Where'd this guy come from? I like him :D

BTW, I still love you Steve.

·May 9, 2003 07:34 PM · comment by CyberMonk   -   ∞

I like OS X better except for that the finder is too slow and the dock is sometimes clumsy if you choose for it to appear and disappear.

·May 9, 2003 07:58 PM · comment by ScrollMaker   -   ∞

"Multitasking Shmultitasking? You're a fucking idiot, you pinko bastard. The whole point of multi-tasking is not to use several apps to accomplish several different jobs at once, but to use several apps at once when working on the same task. You eat nuts."

That time of the month? The point of multitasking is that your computer is not a terminal to a single application at a time.

Exar, I have clearly embraced the new. But new isn't always better.

·May 10, 2003 12:26 AM · comment by Steven Canfield   -   ∞

You're still a pinko bastard.

·May 11, 2003 10:28 AM · comment by preeb   -   ∞